Author Topic: DaG|Kamakazzee  (Read 1494 times)

dagkam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DaG|Kamakazzee
« on: August 13, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »
Some of you also know me as DAGKAM.

DaG stands for "Doritos are Good". This was a tag a few friends of mine would use when we had Lan parties in high school. Somehow we always had Doritos when we played together...

I've played this game since it was in alpha testing. I think that was at least 12 years ago, so I have been playing since I was in middle school. I've seen a lot of changes to both the game itself and the community of players. I remember playing on Reaperville a long time ago. I helped admin that server a bit. I also played on Tactical Gamer(TG) for a long time. I played in several CAL-NS, UGL-NS, UGL-CO, ENSL-NS competitive teams. I helped my brother Jojoshua with the NS-GUIDES program to teach new players the game. I helped run the Penguin /O> clan which was a very successful competitive team. We also had a #2 team that allowed us to train up and coming competitive players.

Funny thing about NS: I have always enjoyed life sciences, but NS started exposing me to computers at an early age. When I went to college I majored in biochemistry but my exposure to computers from playing NS gave me the interest in doing something unique for a biologist. I switched into a computational biology and biophysics program for my PhD program. I don't think I would have felt comfortable doing this if not for being around computers so much while playing NS. So somehow NS has served as a practical learning tool for me.

I still have 2 years to finish my PhD, so I will be hit or miss with my availability. I hope to help get this server going a bit and give the NS community some positive directions to go toward.

vts

• ADMINS
    • View Profile
Re: DaG|Kamakazzee
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
Doritos?, oh yes, the red packet, Sweet Chilli here in the UK, cannot get enough of them when on the computer :P

Smelly D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:37:48 AM »
Hey Kam!  First off, thanx for the awesome server!

I've been playing NS since 1.2 or something -first year anyway.

Funny how attracted to this game I am.

I wasn't a comp person really but of course the internet can't be denied.

So I purchased my first comp in 98.

I am from the Pong/Atari/Pacman gen. Never owned a game console.Played arcades.Galaga Tempest P-Man etc.

i was done with video games @15. Waste of time.

Our first friend who got a computer was given "Quake 1" on 13 floppy disks! At the time I was bummed over a lost love and for some reason decided to load up the disks in his comp. Wow fascinating!

I got my comp soon after.I came accross a website called "Hotgames" which use to have those downloadable game demos. Quake 2 was great especialy with the  multiplayer Death Match feature.

Half-Life came along. Liked it's science orientation. Within a few months there were dozens of 3rd party mods.
i couldn't believe it, paid 20 bux and ended up getting many, many games.

Natural Selection came along and that was it! No other game has the personality that NS has.

Gaming along with all the horrible versions of Windows forced me to become computer/software literate .Which of course has turned into asset.

I stopped playing for a few years but now revisiting NS and of course I'm curious about NS2.

dagkam

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:51:33 AM »
Nice background story. You should post most of that in a new thread about yourself. It's nice to read! I'm glad that you are enjoying the new server and NS still after all these years.